Sunday, September 27, 2009


I figured out what was wrong with Blogger. There was a hitherto unnoticed box that had somehow become unchecked in the picture importation window.

These socks developed this. It must have been a laundry accident. Now I just have to find the leftover yarn . . .

These Norwegian House Slippers fascinate me. The second one is sewn now, but they still need felting. I went big on the needle. We'll see what happens. I'm pretty sure they're not going to fit me. I'll probably make myself some, too.

Here's the second skein of Knitting Notions Superwash sock yarn in the color wildflowers and what it's becoming: a Lacy Baktus. (You may recall that I made a mohairy Baktus last January or so.) The combination of yarn and pattern are working here. It didn't even take 22 tries! Now here's an interesting question for me. Why am I compelled to immediately knit this even though I just knit another skein of it? I have so many other likely candidates.

I finished these. Seiding and Elizabeth saw me working on them at Wisconsin Sheep and Wool. I decided to give them to my hairdresser, Annie. I was foolish enough to ask her if she thought one was shorter than the other. In essence, I unfinished these. I took them back and will lengthen the shortie as much as I can given the small amount of remaining yarn. The cable is supposed to line up along the outer edge of the hand, not the center. They do this better on Annie. The lumpy wrist is due to my watch. The yarn is Elsebeth Lavold Angora. (60% Angora, 20% wool, 20% nylon)
Speaking of Annie, here's what she did to me. Well, she didn't mess it up like that or force me to take a badly lit picture, but she did give me purple highlights. Really purple. I love it.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

No Pictures on Blogger

Well I tried to post the other day and the pictures wouldn't upload. Today the button that you press to upload the pictures doesn't even work. So Hello, Howdedoo, etc.

It's hot at work, even when it's nice outside.

I did some knitting.

I had trouble with it.

I am doing more knitting. I am having trouble with that too.

It is better with pictures, isn't it?

Thursday, September 03, 2009

Back in the Bloggle again

At this point in the socks. I decided that the shafts were too wide. So I dropped columns of stitches down to just above the heel (a bit further than the picture shows) and brought them back up with my new favorite crochet hook (Bates 2.0 mm) and I created ribbing at the back center of both socks in order to cinch them in a bit. The truth is that I did it once, didn't like it, dropped down and brought the stitches back up in stockinette, knit another inch, changed my mind and dropped down again for the ribbing. Here's an interesting nugget: Making ribbing this way produces a tight, even ribbing. The cuff is mostly 1x1 ribbing, but the knits are twisted and the back of the cuff is consistent with the ribbing that runs up the back of the shaft. I did a 2 stitch knit ridge surrounded by 2 purls right above the diamond motif. I wish I would have surrounded it by only one purl stitch. Then it would be smoother, yet more prominent. By the way, I like the pooling. There was no pooling on the feet and I was disappointed, but now I am satisfied because it is there, but it's not all crazy and dramatic.Here's a picture of the latest unwrapped short row heel I've tried. It's called the Sherman Heel. (one tutorial)(the original tutorial) I am proud of myself for figuring this out, because I had to combine the 2 tutorials to understand it. Our minds all work so differently. Despite my trouble with the directions, it's actually the easiest short row heel in my opinion so far. Here's my tutorial: Make short rows without wraps. When you get to the increase point and are returning, slip the stitch before the gap (knitwise on the knit side). Pull up the stitch below the first stitch on the left needle. Knit or purl that stitch with the slipped stitch. Turn. Do not slip. Repeat. Ignore the part about wrapping the 1st 1 or two stitches and ignore the term, "encroachment," unless it works for you. I added 6 stitches gradually to the bottom of the foot started at about 2 inches before the heel; then I knit the heel on 42 stitches. I hope this compensates for the possiblilitlity that Mr. Williams has high arches. Here's how the design on the sides of the foot turned out. Handsome picture of the side of the leg design. Ta Da! And ironic that the paper that horned in on the photo shoot is my teaching license, because have I mentioned that Mr. Williams is my former principal? He is one of the best people I've ever known and I sure as hell hope he likes his socks. Secondarily, I hope they fit him. Thirdarily, I hope he wears them once in a while or gives them to his wife. Details
Pattern: Well, you know, a little of this, a little of that. 72 stitches, toe-up, Sherman Heel.
Yarn: Knitting Notions Superwash Sock Yarn. (I did have enough yarn. The yarn I ordered before I knew that, matches perfectly. I hate to say that I always have enough, because saying so could jinx it, but I always have enough yarn.) Color: Wildflowers, but for Mr. Williams, let's
just let him think the colors are his college frat colors and are not flowery at all.
Needles: Mostly magic loop, some 2 needle circular and some dpn work. Size: Foot & cuff, 2.25 mm, Shaft, 2.5 mm.