Sunday, June 22, 2008

Baby Blanket Begun~Bliss!

I've suddenly got a bunch of babies coming up and knowing already that at least one of them is female, I figured I could make a good heavy baby blanket out of the orchid colored Idena Big Cotton sport that's been tearing a hole in my knitting pocket ever since I got it. So I Ravelried a ton of baby blankets and fell in love with this pattern. Bliss Blanket by Melissa J. Goodale. It looks fabulous in variegated yarn which this isn't, but it does show stitch definition very well. Speaking of stitch definition, this is not just plain entrelac. (I almost said "simple entrelac," but I had a problem, so I guess that disqualifies the term, "simple.") It is knit with a stitch pattern that someone on Ravelry said was a mistake rib.

I mentioned that I had a problem. I misread the instructions and was picking up the wrong number of stitches. I should have realized it immediately but it took me until the second tier of the second repeat to finally decide that I was doing something wrong. Even then I might've kept going if there had been something better on TV. It was getting late so I decided to wait until the next day to make a decision because, hey, I figured I was dopier than normal and also I was not as willing to rip as I usually am because this is even more successful than I'd hoped. I wondered what would happen if I changed up the design and started knitting across all the rectangles untill one whole row would reach across the entire blanket diagonally. Then the entrelac I'd already knit would be a border and I'd add the entrelac back onto the other end for the other border. If I didn't like that or couldn't figure out how to do it, I could rip back just that part.

Picture number two shows the beginning of that on the lower left. Eh. Not so much--though this is the back of the work and it does look a little bit better on the front. I got on the Ravelry pattern forum and asked the question about how many pick-ups I should be making. Tow people responded that I had been doing it wrong. At least one wasn't a cat saying "Ur doin it rong." But one was the designer herself!!! Heart, heart, heart. She said to keep going and I'm going to. Thank you Stick Chick.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking great! Love the colour... :-)

Sue, aka seiding said...

The baby will never know if you made a mistake or not. It looks so comfy!

Anonymous said...

It looks great in the yarn you're using! I love seeing all the variations of this out there. If you're still stuck let me know!

Elizabeth said...

I think it looks wonderful! Baby blanket: yur doin it rite!