Sunday, February 01, 2009

Knitted Baby Quilt part Hat

Here's the whole thing all at once laying (lying, looing?) on a snow bank. As usual, I'm unhappy with the pictures' quality, but at the same time I still appreciate them for being pictures. The full picture here has the best color because the blue doesn't look aquatic.

Details, details:
Pattern: All but two of the stitch patterns came from the new version of the Harmony stitch guides. Why I seem to have to have these even though I have most of the old ones, I don't know. The image is courtesy of the folks over at Amazon who are nice enough to share their images. At least, I think they are. They certainly could make the pictures uncopyable if they wanted. Right? The stitch patterns that didn't emanate from there are the "E" and the one located at 3,2 reading down and across. The "E" stands for Evan.

Modus Operandi: I used size US 7 needles or maybe 6. I just can't remember. I chose stitch patterns on the basis of whether I could get them to fit in about 24 to 31 stitches. I added garter stitch selvedges to those that couldn't make 30 to 31 on their own. I made some 31 because I wanted even selvedges. I knit until each block was square, which I determined by folding the corner diagonally up to the needle. I then crocheted 1 row of single crochet around each block to help square them up. After that is when I decided the piece was too small and added another row of single crochet, but in the blue. I had thoughts of employing what a quilter would call sashing between the blocks by going back to the yellow and knitting another stitch pattern. However, after the 2 grueling rows of crochet I put the kybosh on that piece of brilliance. Yeah, I don't feel like looking up how to spell kybosh. Enlighten us, o wise in the ways of English somebody. Or not.

I worried for a long time about how to attach the squares. I Internetted what I could on the subject. In the end, after taking it for a vacation in California during which time I didn't work on it, but got help in choosing the locations and orientation of each square from a bonnie red-haired lass--Hi, Bonnie!--I ended up doing a mattress stitch. It worked excellently with the crocheted edges. I highly recommend it.

Next, in blue, I added a row of single crochet, a row of that taller than single crochet crochet and maybe a third row with that second thing. But it still looked skimpy. I crocheted more, but things started getting tight. Way tight. Off that came and I picked up and knit in yellow about 8 rows in two by two ribbing with a cable twist at each end of the stockinette. I believe you can make it out on one or two of the blocks pictures. Then I knit a blue row plain and bound off. I've been weaving ends in ever since. Incidentally, I'm splitting the ends in two and that's making it easier and quicker to weave, though my Monday Night Knitters think I'm making more work for myself. I think I counted about 8 ends left to go. Maybe during the Superbowl.

Last of all, clearly it needs blocking. That it does. Indoubitedlbyly. Indeed.

Yarn: A giant skein of Bernat Handicrafter cotton in one of the colonial colors seen earlier in the blog posts provided the yellow. The blue is Peaches and Sugar and creame. Either one or both--I don't know. I used a partial and part of a full skein which were acquired at different times. In fact here's the remainder of the second ball. Ididn't realize it was still attached when I grabbed the blanket out of the car and carried it over to the snow bank to catch the last of the light. I got almost there when I felt the tug. I had to free it from the garbage cart. The Bernat is less pilly than the Creme. It seems a little smoother and even. I liked it quite a bit, but they don't generally sell it around here.

And now, the cuteness, that is 3-year olds. Recognize the hat?
Kofu, Sophie
Last of all of the last, I took the couple leftover yards of yarn from Sophie's jester hat and crocheted it into a thick string to give to her. The hat and the string were in the car for several days before I had a chance to give them to Sophie. In the meantime, I went to Trader Joes 2 weeks in a row. Guess what I found in the parking lot on my way into the store the last time. You can see that it didn't snow, but it had to have gotten run over multiple times. That is some resilient yarn.

4 comments:

Divine Knitress said...

you're right this picture looks good but the blanket is more beautiful in person. Glad I got to see it. Have fun blocking!

Daniel Mount said...

Looing? Kathy, i love the story of the little lost piece of yarn. Life is magical in that way. I'm glad you saw it and shared it. D.

Molly Bee said...

Gosh that baby blanket is gorgeous. I'm glad I got to see it in person!
Thanks for the tip on the sweater. I'm going to take your advice and cease and desist knitting it right now and just wear the neck hole and shoulder straps. No one else will have one like it. I think it's a bold fashion statement whose time has come!

Elizabeth said...

Hey, a Jester Hat! Aren't they cute?

Word of the day: deboyed.